Whenever you get behind the wheel of a car or go out to walk your dog, there are numerous safety risks that you need to be aware of if you want to avoid serious injury. Both pedestrians and drivers share the responsibility for keeping roads and walkways safe. To encourage driver and pedestrian safety, consider the following tips:
Walking Safety Tips
Pedestrians should follow these basic safety tips when walking near roads:
- Always obey signs, signals, and other rules of the road.
- Use sidewalks whenever they are available.
- If you can’t use a sidewalk, you should walk facing traffic, but remain as far from traffic as possible.
- Remain alert at all times. Don’t use anything while you are walking that will take your eyes off the road.
- Be predictable and use crosswalks or intersections in areas where drivers expect to interact with pedestrians.
- Always make eye contact with drivers when you are crossing the street or intersection. Never assume a driver sees you.
- Try to be visible at all times. If you are walking at night, wear reflective clothing and use a flashlight.
- Keep an eye out for cars coming in-and-out of driveways and parking lots.
Safety Tips for Drivers
Drivers need to keep the following tips in mind to avoid accidents with pedestrians:
- Always scan for pedestrians, especially in busy and congested areas.
- If you are driving in poor weather conditions that impact visibility, make sure you use extra caution.
- As you approach a crosswalk to turn, slow down, stop, and check for pedestrians before completing the turn.
- Yield to pedestrians walking through crosswalks. You should also stop far enough behind the cross-walk so that there is enough space for other vehicles to see oncoming pedestrians.
- Don’t attempt to pass a vehicle that is stopped at a crosswalk because there might be pedestrians crossing that are out of your view.
- Always follow the speed limit.
- Drive slower in school zones and in neighborhoods where children are present.
Consult with Our Accident Attorneys Today
At Fitzpatrick Mariano Santos Sousa P.C., our team of dedicated lawyers has years of experience helping clients recover maximum compensation for motor vehicle and pedestrian accident cases. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury in an accident, you need to get in touch with our law firm to discuss all of your options under the law. We will use our full resources to represent your best interests, and we are prepared to fight for the justice you deserve.